Announcing A Day Without Dignity 2012 – Local Champions
Posted on April 7, 2012 at 5:29 am
We are happy to announce that A Day Without Dignity, 2012 will be held on Monday, April 16th.
A Day Without Dignity was originally launched as a counter-protest to TOMS One Day Without Shoes event. Last year we received over 70 blog post and articles related to problems with donated goods, especially shoes. The Day Without Dignity video created after the event has been viewed over 28,000 times (I know it’s nothing compared with KONY 2012, but still pretty good) and is used by professors and college clubs to introduce the problems with donated goods.
This year’s event will focus on Local Champions. The theme was chosen to show an alternative to awareness raising events that often focus on Whites in Shining Armor at the expense of the dignity of the people they’re trying to help.
For this year’s event, we are seeking blog posts and articles on:
- Locally-led development projects and stories of local action working successfully to address local needs.
- Advice on how to work as partners rather than as a savior.
- Suggestions or examples on how to support and champion those who are innovating in their own communities.
- Discussions on how to best represent the people we’re trying to help to our donors.
- How to help without expecting to “Save the World”
- And we’d love it if some of the Western bloggers would invite people with local voices to share their perspectives in guest post on their blog.
Posts will be collected and shared here, A Day Without Dignity 2012. Please use the hashtag #LocalChampions when discussing this event on twitter.
In addition to these blog posts, we’ll also create a simple Day Without Dignity curriculum and discussion points.
AND we’ll be hosting a t-shirt design competition. The winning designs will available for sale – proceeds will benefit Villages in Action.
Send links to blogposts and articles to Saundra at Saundra[at]goodintents.org
Send curriculum suggestions/ideas to Tom at Murph[at]aviewfromthecave.com
Send t-shirt entries to TMS Ruge at Teddy[at]projectdiaspora.org
A Day Without Dignity 2012 – Local Champions
Guides by Good Intentions are Not Enough